God will never have you make a choice in life that will violate His Word. When you know the Bible and obey it, you will do God’s will and make the right choices. Often there are times after looking to Scripture regarding your situation you may still find yourself unsure of the direction you should take.
Here are 11 practical questions that I suggest you ask yourself before making any important decision about God’s will for you.
- Will this decision move me toward a life goal or toward solving a problem? Research shows only five percent of people actually have goals for their lives. If you’re among them, I encourage you to set some this month.
- Does this decision support my life mission, the reason for my existence? Oftentimes, people who are unhappy and depressed have really lost their mission. The major decisions in your life should all be mission-driven. Yet many people spend more time planning their vacation than planning their life.
- Will this decision affect any commitment or vow I have made? It’s not God’s intentions for you to abandon the promises you have made.
- Do the results of this decision make sense? Charles Kettering said, “For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat… and wrong.”
- How will others be affected by this decision? What is the impact on your family, your friends and your co-workers?
- Is this legal? God will not have you violate the law of the land.
- What will this decision cost me? Remember there is always a trade-off to every decision.
- What do I get out of this decision? This question pricks your conscience and will keep selfishness and pride in check.
- Is this the best time to make this decision? God’s Word repeatedly encourages you to wait on Him and have patience.
- Do I have enough information to make this decision?
- Do I plan to stick by my decision?
God’s will is not vague. It’s all revealed for you in His Word. To know and live within God’s intentions, you must know and apply the Bible to every life situation. Ask Him to make you hungry for His Word—and mystery of God’s intentions for your life will disappear.
Intentional ONE THING Challenge
If you could do ONE THING and know that it would make a significant, lasting, possibly life-changing difference in your life, would you do it? Dr. Carlson shares the power of ONE THING and why you should get started doing your ONE THING today.
How do you determine what God’s will is when making a decision? We’d love to hear your stories. Post your comments below.